Welcome to the Milwaukee chapter of the Democratic Socialists of America. The Milwaukee DSA was founded in 2016 and has nearly 500 members. The Democratic Socialists of America is a large-tent organization of local working-class citizens, activists, and organizers which demands a society where all participate as equals and are respected for their worth as human beings. We are a political and activist organization, not a party.
Through campus and community-based chapters, DSA members use a variety of tactics, from legislative to direct action, to fight for reforms that empower working people. In honor of Milwaukee’s history of successful socialist policies and achievements, our modern organization seeks to build a modern movement to secure a fulfilling life for all. Milwaukee DSA achieves its goals through the accomplishments of its many diverse Working Groups, uniting our individual fights into one synchronized movement.
Working people should run both the economy and society democratically to meet human needs, not to make profits for a few. We are socialists because we are opposed to an economy that puts private profit above what benefits the many. DSA aims to include as much of the working class as possible, regardless of their familiarity with socialist theory.
In the end, it is capitalism that creates a majority of problems in our society, including unequal wealth and power. Racism, sexism, and other forms of discrimination are tactics utilized within a capitalist system to divide us, and only when we unite together will we have the strength to overturn our oppressors.
- An end to racial, gender, and all other forms of oppression
- Democracy in the workplace; all workers have the right to organize
- The economy must be run democratically; none shall be poor so another can be rich
- An end to military and police aggression
- An end to punitive justice and mass incarceration
- Democratic control over the environment to preserve the planet
- The abolition of poverty
- Affordable, humane housing for all
- Medicare For All
- Free education, from pre-K to trades, college, and beyond
- Complete reproductive freedom in all forms
To build a sustainable movement of the majority, we need you to get involved, too. Now it’s easier than ever to attend one of our meetings as we are currently meeting on Zoom. Our calendar has a listing of our events. Click get involved to view the full list of our current groups. We look forward to organizing with you.