Spring Primary: February 21, 2023
General Election: April 8, 2023
Milwaukee DSA endorses the following candidates in the 2023 Spring Election. Notify the Electoral Working Group if you would like to apply for Milwaukee DSA endorsement.
Milwaukee Board of School Directors, City-Wide: Missy Zombor
As a Milwaukee Public School parent, Missy will fight to ensure that every student—regardless of the school they attend—has class sizes small enough for one-on-one attention, amazing educators who are supported and respected, access to an anti-racist education that celebrates diversity, and reliable transportation that families can depend on.
- Defend and Transform our Public Schools
- Class Sizes Small Enough for Individual Attention
- Reliable Transportation
- Attract and Retain Talented Educators
- Nutritional Meals
- Art, Music, Physical Education, Librarians & Career Education
- Fight For Funding
- End the School-to-Prison Pipeline
- The Right to Play
Shorewood Village Trustee, At Large: Sam Harshner
Sam is a respected political science professor at Marquette University and is a vocal critic of capitalism and proponent of democratic socialism, DSA, and the labor movement. He and his family are trusted members of the Shorewood community. To top it off, he has stellar reviews on ratemyprofessor.com.
- Affordable housing
- Building towards a greener future
- Shift funding from police to policies proven to stop crime before it occurs
- Fight state cuts to education funding, shared revenue, and disinvestment of cities
2022 General Election
2022 Spring Election
Of our three endorsed candidates, two won election—Juan Miguel Martinez and Ryan Clancy. Juan Miguel and Ryan will take 2 out of the 18 seats on the Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors, representing District 12 and District 4 respectively. Unfortunately, Eric Rorholm did not win his race in District 3. Overall, the election results were a historic victory for Milwaukee DSA, representing the first time the chapter has won multiple seats in a single day.
2021 Spring Election
Although the DSA socialist slate campaigns didn’t have enough votes to win in the general election, their primary victories were a historic one: Dana Kelley and Darrin Madison Jr. were the first Black socialists to pass through a primary for elected office in Milwaukee’s history, and Alex Brower joined them as the first socialist candidate to pass through a Milwaukee municipal election since 1956. DSA congratulates the socialist slate on their campaigns and—despite being up against entrenched interests—in shaping the discussion around issues of transformative change.
- Alex Brower, candidate, School Board District 5 (2021 Spring Election)
- Ryan Clancy, elected official, Wisconsin State Assembly District 19 (2022 General Election) and elected official, County Supervisor District 4 (2022 Spring Election)
- Dana Kelley, candidate, School Board District 4 (2021 Spring Election)
- Darrin Madison Jr., elected official, Wisconsin State Assembly District 10 (2022 General Election) and candidate, County Supervisor District 10 (2021 Spring Election)
- Juan Miguel Martinez, elected official, County Supervisor District 12 (2022 Spring Election)
- Eric Rorholm, candidate, County Supervisor District 3 (2022 Spring Election)